Makeup Monday - DIY Dry Shampoo

February 23, 2014

Welcome to Makeup Monday on Julie's Lifestyle.  Each Monday I will post about a certain type of makeup, nail polish, face or hair product etc.  It will be a fun place to come visit about anything to do with beauty.  



WEEK 8 - DIY DRY SHAMPOO



Hi everyone, and welcome to Makeup Monday week 8.  Let's talk about dry shampoo today.  I really don't like washing me hair everyday and to help me with keeping my hair looking fresh I like to use Dry Shampoo Spray.  Have you ever tried it before?  Well it can get costly and the cans can range from about $8 to $25 and more.  I would usually spend about $8 on a can, so I decided that I wanted to make my own and I searched Pinterest for an easy DIY Dry Shampoo tutorial and here it is.

DRY SHAMPOO FOR LIGHT HAIR

1/4 cup cornstarch 
1/4 cup baking soda
5 - 20 drops essential oil - pink grapefruit, lavender, etc.


DRY SHAMPOO FOR DARK HAIR

1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup cocoa
5 - 10 drops essential oil - pink grapefruit, lavender etc.

Dip your makeup brush into the dry shampoo.  Dab the brush along your roots in sections.  Let it sit for a couple of minutes to absorb the oil and then brush out.  Style as usual.

Here is a photo of what I used to make my dry shampoo.

I store mine in a small jar and use a makeup brush to apply it.  Here is a tutorial on how to apply and use the dry shampoo HERE.

This natural homemade dry shampoo makes my hair stay fluffy with added volume.  I made the dry shampoo for light hair, but I didn't have any essential oil on hand and it still worked nice on my hair.  I didn't make the dry shampoo for dark hair since my hair is blonde.



If you don't want to wash your hair everyday this is a great alternative to use.  It's an easy way to save time on busy mornings and money and still look good.

I found this on Pinterest from Amanda at Small Home Big Start and the link is here.

See you all next week at Makeup Monday!

Click HERE to see the great parties I will linking up to!

Ways to Follow Julie's Lifestyle

BLOG // PINTEREST // GOOGLE + // BLOGLOVIN // TWITTER

All of my recipes and crochet/knit creations are on my Pinterest Boards, so please have a look there too! 

Thanks everyone and Enjoy!

Julie

31 comments

  1. I've bought the dry shampoo for my daughters but I haven't ever used it myself. I didn't know there was a recipe to make it at home. I'll pin it maybe I can save a little bit of money in the future. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever tried it. I like the idea though, and I like that you can make it yourself. A little grapefruit oil would be nice in it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie!

    Wow! What an interesting fast fix for keeping our hair looking and smelling fresh! I'd heard of dry shampoo, but never really looked into what it actually is!

    Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, what a great idea, Ive never tried any before but would love to try your idea out :) thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thanks again for linking up last week, you've been featured this week at the hop :)

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to try this, but just haven't done it. Thanks for sharing, Julie :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dry Shampoo is the go to for my 17 year old daughter if she's wanting to get be hair or real curling power. Maybe we'll try this DIY. Thanks for sharing your find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great that you have light & dark since I go back and forth, long hair & do not wash daily. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you provided options for both light and dark hair here. That is so helpful! :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this series Julie! It's really not a good idea to wash our hair too often, so this is a great idea. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I recently bought a can of dry shampoo but my husband hates the smell and I really dislike using strong chemicals. When I was younger I would sometimes use talcum powder, but my hair is dark so it didn't look good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Oh! Forgot to mention...I found you through Turn It Up Tuesday, and you've also just gained a follower through Google Friends Connect. I love this blog and will be back! (I'd love for you to stop by mine, too, if you have the time!)

      Delete
  12. I love this. I don't wash my hair every day (I always wear it in a pony tail and it holds better when it's not freshly washed) and I've heard about dry shampoo but never tried it. I'll have to give this a try soon. Thanks for sharing on Great Idea Thursdays I'll be featuring this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so simple! I will have to give it a try - I don't like some of the ingredients they put in the spray ones. I usually have to wash my hair most days though because of sweating so much after my morning workout. On days where I do yoga I could try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this simple recipe..........a good one to have on hand for when needed. :) Gentle Joy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Love this idea of Dry Shampoo and have to pin it and share.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love homemade products. This one sounds good! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This would be great to use here in Florida when it's humid and hot and can't wash your hair twice a day! Thanks for sharing! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is brilliant. I have just recently found dry shampoo but it is a spray. What a great idea and Thanks for linking up to FRidayFrenzy this week. Hope to see you again next week. http://wp.me/p3wIZX-1N8

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's an interesting idea! I've purchased them an used on occasion, but didn't know you could make your own. PS- you were before me at Best of the Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need to try this, I have really fine, thin hair and it gets greasy SUPER fast. I HATE it. Thanks so much for linking up at the MaMade Blog Hop, I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just read another post like this over the weekend, and since now 2 of you claim this stuff is worthwhile, I'm definitely going to try it. The best part is that I've already got all the ingredients on hand. Thank you, Julie, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great DIY Found you on the blog hop and am so glad I did. I'm now tagging along and can't wait to read more. Hoping you stop by and say hi sometime. http://wanderlust-wishlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for linking up at The Four Seasons Blog Hop! Sandra from Scrumptilicious 3 You!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have fond memories from childhood of my mother applying dry shampoo to my hair when I was sick with the flu or a bad cold. Now I can use your wonderful recipes to make my own.Thank you so much for sharing these natural hair care recipes on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just recently learned about this dry shampoo and I was on the way to the store to buy some. Now I can make my own instead! Thanks for linking it up to Snickerdoodle Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing on Sweet and Savoury Sundays, stop by and share with us again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't seen a recipe for dry shampoo before! Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up to the Monday Makeup Madness link up party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow this is so clever! I had no idea you could make your own dry shampoo!! Bookmarking this idea for when I run out next! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your comments always make me happy.
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANY LINKS IN YOUR COMMENTS.